Poison Pero is RIGHT!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Linda Hirshman (Propagandameistress of Philosophy and Women's Studies at Brandeis University

"I think it's a terrible mistake for these highly educated and capable women to make that choice [choosing children and home over career]. I am saying an educated, competent adult's place is in the office."

**How about allowing a woman to "CHOOSE" what she wants to do?

There is no bigger job than being a mom, and there is also nothing wrong with women working.....But to say working is better than being a stay-at-home mother is ignorant.

In the past 40-years American women have left the home for the office, and the American family has been turned upside down, children have done progressively worse in school, crime is up, and the country has paid a horrible cost for the decisions it has made.

Two of the greatest factors of this decline are children without fathers in general, and also children without mothers in the home........We'd be much better off if we could rectify both of these problems. Unfortunately, I don't see either happening.**

3 Comments:

  • At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I often disagree with you, but I appreciate these insightful comments.

    You are absolutely right. Whether to be a homemaker or working professional should be completely a matter of individual choice.

    Women should never have been denied the opportunity to be part of the workforce. Society has changed as a result of their presence, and, unfortunately, solutions have not kept up with progress. Universal health care, inclusive of day care, would help many parents (especially single ones) who are working. Unfortunately, to date, we have not made that commitment as a societal priority.

    And, of course, contraceptive education wouldn't hurt. If young parents knew a little bit more about how to prevent pregnancy, we'd be seeing a lot fewer young people trying to figure out the solutionless work vs. child care dilemma.

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Poison Pero said…

    1. I'm glad we can agree on this Anonymous........I think it is self evident, regardless of politics.

    2. I hope everyone understands I blame men as much, if not more, for the sad state of affairs.

    3. We would be much better off if women didn't insist on being EQUAL TO MEN!! That sounds terrible, but isn't. One of my favorite quotes:

    "When women decided to be equal to men they gave up their superiority over men." - Prager.

    4. How about a name Anonymous? Even a pseudo-name. Do you have a blog??

     
  • At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry to remain anonymous for the time being. I don't have a blog, and if I do get one I will be happy to use the name going forward. I'm kind of new to the whole blog experience, and I haven't gone through the sign up process yet. I will do so soon. And, truth be told, I have a name that would be recognized if I made it public. I'm not calling myself a celebrity, but people would know who I am if I stated my name.

    We'll have to disagree on women not being equal to men. I like the quote, though, but I also think it makes perfect sense for women to advocate for equality. The quote illustrates how feminist women often sound defensive, and how this may be a reflection of real unequal status. But then again, who wouldn't advocate for themselves when their rights have been denied them for centuries.

    I do appreciate these intellectual exchanges, Poison Pero.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

    NOTE: The editorial content of this blog is the property of the Blog Owner......Feel free to quote from the editorial content, but please give proper credit and linking.