Poison Pero is RIGHT!

Monday, December 17, 2018

My Brookie Turns 18!

It's hard to believe my youngest child has turned 18.  I remember the day she was born, and am so proud of what she has become...She truly is an amazing young lady.

I have always worried about her, because she has never backed down from a challenge.

I remember tearing up in my seat during one of her dance recitals when she was around 12 years old.  She had prepared for a 2-person dance routine, but her partner didn't show up, and her instructor didn't tell her until the last minute...I watched in horror, waiting for my little girl to crack up in front of the audience.  But she didn't crack.  She did the routine on her own, improvising hers and her partners moves, ON THE FLY!  She absolutely killed it!

Of course she did.  She always has.

I remember going to one of her drama performances when she was in junior high - it was a performance almost entirely casted by high school juniors and seniors.  I was afraid she would melt under the pressure of being so young, competing for a spot against and with kids 4-years older than she was...She played a leading role:  Cha Cha in 'Grease'.  And she was amazing!  No on in the audience who didn't know her age would have ever guessed how young she was, because she sang and danced as well as anyone on stage.  She absolutely killed it!

Of course she did.  She always has.

I remember when we made the decision to take her out of her charter school (small school setting) and enrolled her in a regular public high school with thousands of students.  I was worried how she'd handle the difficulties of being in a much less controlled environment; and in an environment where the expectations were much lower...She has handled the 'big school' environment just fine, and she hasn't allowed the low expectation of public school to lessen her personal expectations.  She absolutely killed it!

Of course she did.  She always has.

I remember when she first started taking college level courses as a junior in high school.  She isn't a 'gifted student,' and I was worried she might have been in over her head....She hasn't been.  The work is hard, but she fights it as hard as she can, and has done well in every class.  She is going to college with credits in hand, which will save her a decent amount of money.  She absolutely killed it!

Of course she did.  She always has.

I remember cringing when I first heard she had a 'real' boyfriend.  Ugh!  We all know the hardships of being a teenager and the stupid decisions made in this time...She has had normal teenage relationships, including breakups, heartache, and true love.  But she has handled them so maturely and has not allowed them to dominate or destroy her teen years.

Of course she didn't!  She is not perfect, but she has always handled herself maturely and with class.

For these reasons, I am comforted by the new fears I have for her becoming an adult.

Brooklyn has never been in trouble.  She's not an angel, but she has literally never had any problems of any kind in her first 17-years of life.  I know at some point she's likely to have a 'hiccup' or two.  And I know my wife and I will be devastated :) ...Luckily, I also know her mistakes will probably be minor, and she will most definitely learn from them.  If anything, her minor mistakes will prove to her the value of avoiding big ones.

By this time next year she will have left home and gone to college:  I have the same fears as every other parent (including her returning home a fully propagandized, lunatic, Social Justice Warrior)...But her history says she will go to college, she won't get in trouble, she won't get too far in debt, and most importantly she will graduate with a useful degree (she's planning on becoming a Dental Hygenist).

I also worry about her becoming an adult, getting married and having children in what is little short of an open-air insane asylum - better known as modern-day America.

But my fears for Brooklyn are tempered by her history, and another important fact:  Brooklyn is her mother's daughter.

She is beautiful, and strong, and smart, and moral, and independent, and honest, and dependable, and caring, and loyal, and not afraid to try new things.  She is amazing in so many ways, and she has been well prepared for her adult life...For these reasons, my fears for my 'child' are just that.  Because in my head and heart I know she can handle everything coming her way.

OF COURSE SHE CAN.  SHE ALWAYS HAS!!!!!!!

I am so proud of what she is, and am even more proud of the fine adult she is becoming.

That said, she will always be my 'Katy Smash-Up Kid'


I love it that 'Firework' is the last song on the Smash-Up, because I've always said my oldest daughter (Holly) is my 'Firework'...Brooklyn is so lucky to have her, as well, and as much as she is Melissa's daughter, she needs to always remember she is also Holly's sister   ;)

Some who know me may wonder why I don't mention myself when I speak of Brooklyn.  The reality is:  I'm just dad.

I don't say that in a negative or diminishing way.  Along with 'just being a husband', it's all I've ever wanted to be...Being a husband and father is what truly defines me.  I am proud of what I am, and I am proud of what I have helped raised.  I proudly say 'I'm just dad.'  I always have been, and I always will be. :)

Happy birthday, Brookie!   I love you so much.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    NOTE: The editorial content of this blog is the property of the Blog Owner......Feel free to quote from the editorial content, but please give proper credit and linking.